Any level of comedian may submit to compete– From the novice that has only done a few open mics all the way up to the headliner that has been on stage for years and years. The comics chosen to participate will be notified no later than 2/29/2020.
Submissions Start: 1/29/2020
Submissions End: 2/29/2020 at 12:01 AM
Where To Send Submissions: WOCC@pnwcomedy.com
—SUBMISSION OPEN NOW!—
Comedians wanting to compete must be able to get to the venue the night they are scheduled to perform. (March 6th **OR** March 7th **OR** March 12th **OR** March 21st **AND IF ADVANCING TO FINALS** April 11th.) If you are selected to move on to the next round but cannot attend the next show date, you will be disqualified.
-The MAC Club, 2223 NE McDaniel Lane, McMinnville, OR
March 7th and March 21st at 9 PM
-Capitol City Theater, 210 Liberty St SE #150, Salem, OR
March 12th at 8 PM
-Mac Market, 1104 NE Alpine Ave, McMinnville, OR
April 11th at 8 PM
WHAT TO SEND IN:
To be considered to participate in the competition, please email the following to WOCC@PNWcomedy.com:
– Your name
– Where you are from/your home base and how long you’ve been doing comedy
– A picture and/or a headshot
– Any stand-up comedy credits (shows, tours, TV appearances, bars mics, etc.)
– A comedy bio of no more than 250 words
– Which TWO (2) First Round heats work best for you to compete? March 6th **OR** March 7th **OR** March 12th **OR** March 21st
– A good quality video of you performing, which is ideally five-ish minutes. (No longer than 10 minutes.)*
*= Not required, but encouraged
All 2020 rounds will take place at Mac Market and The Mac Club in McMinnville, The Diversity Cafe & Club in Forest Grove, and at Capitol City Theater in Salem, Oregon.
Summary: There will be FIVE total shows that are separated into two different rounds- the First Round/Round One and The Finals. The first four shows will be included in the First Round and take place on different nights. The 2-3 comics that receive the most votes from each First Round heat will move on to The Finals and compete for a $500 cash prize on a fourth and final show!
First Round/Round One: 32-40 competing comics (8-10 in each First Round heat) will be assigned to compete in one of three heats. All First Round/Round One comics must do at least five minutes of material and no longer 10 minutes. Going over the maximum allotted time, or under the minimum time, may result in disqualification. (Set times are subject to change due to dropouts, venue needs, etc.)
March 6th – Diversity Club – First Round – 8 PM
March 7th – Mac Club – First Round – 9 PM
March 12th – Capitol City Theater – First Round – 8 PM
March 21st – Mac Club – First Round – 9 PM
The Finals: Finals: The 9+ comics that advanced from all First Round/Round One heats will do no more than 8-10 minutes. After the show, the audience votes for the comics they think did best and the comedian that receives the most votes wins the $500 cash prize! With second place getting $100. Going over the maximum allotted time, or under the minimum, will result in immediate disqualification.
April 11th – Mac Market – Finals – 8 PM
ELIGIBILITY & GENERAL RULES/GUIDELINES:
– Must be at least 18 years old to compete.
– You do not have to be from Oregon.
– All potential competitors must have done at least one comedy open mic.
– Previous participants of the competition may compete again.
– All material must be written by the comic performing it.
– Absolutely no hate speech.
– Be respectful to the comedians, audience members, volunteers, and staff.
– A vote by audience members will take place at the end of every show to determine the advancing competitors and the evening’s winner.
– If a comic moves to the next round but is unable to make the next show, the next highest vote-getting comic in that round/heat will then take the that comic’s spot.
– Currently booked headliners, current employees of PNW Comedy may not participate as competitors in the competition.
– The producers select the competitors by comics submitting requested materials AND by the producers reaching out to comics directly and asking if they’re interested in performing.
– There are no fees to submit and all comics will be compensated at least $10 for performing.
–Comedians wanting to compete must be able to get to the venue the night they are scheduled to perform. No exceptions.
– The producers have the ultimate authority to determine if something is grounds for disqualification.
– Not following any of the rules listed above, or stated before, during or after a comedy show, may be grounds for immediate disqualification.
– The earlier you send in your materials, the better- Some comics may be accepted to participate in the comp for scheduling and other purposes before the submission end date of Feb 29th.
– Rules are subject to change at any time.
– Individual event showtimes and rules are subject to change without notice.
You’ve Got Questions, We Have Answers!
Q: Does it cost to submit to the Western Oregon Comedy Competition?
A: Not at all! The competition is sponsored by PNW Comedy. They are covering all production and entertainment costs involving the competition.
Q: Will I be paid for my time?
A: Yes you will! Whether you’re in the first round or the finals, you’ll be compensated for your time!
Q: What’s the point of doing this no-name competition?
A: Well, if you win, you’ll receive $500 and you’ll be booked again at one of the many PNW Comedy rooms later on in the 2020 schedule. You’ll also be invited back for the next year’s WOCC to participate as the Host, MC or Feature. Plus, you’ll receive a pretty cool/cheesy trophy!
Q: Are musical comedy acts eligible to particapate?
A: Yes! If you consider yourself more of a musical comedy/stand-up act than JUST a musical act, then you’re more than encouraged to submit the requested materials to the competition.
Q: I competed last year. Any chance I could compete again?
A: Yes! All previous participants are eligible (and encouraged!) to compete again.
If you have any more questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to email us at WOCC@pnwcomedy.com. Thanks!